Welcome to your monthly LifterLMS News You Can Use, May edition: #004.
Read About Recent Technical Product Updates (We’ve been busy)!
- Fixed typos and spelling errors in various strings.
- Corrected a typo in the content-disposition header used when exporting voucher CSVs
- Improved the quiz attempt grading experience by automatically focusing the remarks field and only toggling the first answer if it’s not visible
- Removed commented out code on the Student Dashboard Notifications Tab template
- Renamed “descrpition” key to “description” found in the return of LLMS_Instructor()->toArray().
- Fixed an issue causing slashes to be stripped from course content when cloning a course.
- Fixed an undefined variable notice encountered when filtering quiz attempts on the quiz attempts reporting screen, thanks @eri-trabiccolo!
- Fixed an issue causing slashes to appear before quotation marks when saving remarks on a quiz attempt, thanks @eri-trabiccolo!
- @pondermatic fixed typos and misspellings in comment and docs in over 200 files and while that doesn’t concern most users it’s worthy of a mention.
- The following unused classes have been marked as deprecated and will be removed from LifterLMS in the next major release.
- Template Updates
- Adds explicit support for the twentynineteen default theme.
- Treats post_excerpt data as HTML instead of plain text. Fixes an issue resulting in HTML tags being stripped from lesson excerpts when duplicating a lesson in the course builder or importing lessons via the course importer.
- Update to LifterLMS Blocks 1.4.0:
- Adds an “unmigration” utility to LifterLMS -> Status -> Tools & Utilities which can be used to remove LifterLMS blocks from courses and lessons which were migrated to the block editor structure. This tool is only available when the Classic Editor plugin is installed and enabled and it will remove blocks from ALL courses and lessons regardless of whether or not the block editor is being utilized on that post.
- Added an “unmigration” utility to LifterLMS -> Status -> Tools & Utilities which can be used to remove LifterLMS blocks from courses and lessons which were migrated to the block editor structure. This tool is only available when the Classic Editor plugin is installed and enabled and it will remove blocks from ALL courses and lessons regardless of whether or not the block editor is being utilized on that post.
- Fixed an issue causing invalid automations to result in a fatal error when attempting to log the failure.
- Added compatibility to allow definition of API credentials in constants as opposed to saving them to the database. See our docs for information on how this works: https://lifterlms.com/docs/lifterlms-stripe/#keys
- Added an action which fires when user consent is saved.
- Fixed an issue causing an error when saving API credentials for the first time.
- Fixed an issue preventing subscriptions from being created when consent is disabled via the `llms_mc_enable_consent` hook.
- Add handlers to handle LifterLMS duplicate assignments during when importing and cloning courses.
Please note: This is a beta! Don’t install this in production.
The PayPal “REST” Gateway
- A completely new version of LifterLMS PayPal utilizing the most recent PayPal APIs and features.
- Utilizes PayPal Checkout via Smart Payment Buttons.
- Your API Credentials (Client ID and Client Secret) can be found by following these steps:
- Look under “REST API apps” at https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/lifecycle/sb_credentials/.
- If testing in Sandbox mode (recommended) you’ll also want to create sandbox buyer and seller accounts: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/lifecycle/sb_about-accounts/
- The charging and scheduling of recurring payments is managed via the PayPal Billing Agreements API and requires a webhook listener to properly function.
- This webhook is automatically installed when valid API credentials are added via the gateway’s settings panel.
- If you’re working on a local development environment you will not be able to receive incoming webhooks and your test subscriptions will never record transactions nor will they cancel enrollment during cancellations from within PayPal.
The “Legacy” PayPal Gateway
- Renames the existing NVP/Reference transaction-powered PayPal (1.x) gateway “PayPal (Legacy)
- For first-time users this gateway is hidden and not available:
- To enable the legacy gateway visit LifterLMS -> Status -> Tools & Utilities and click the “Enable Legacy Gateway” button.
- To disable the legacy gateway repeat the above process clicking “Disable Legacy Gateway” instead.
- Disabling the legacy gateway will have NO EFFECT on existing one-time payments made via the gateway. However active recurring payments made through reference transactions will be unable to automatically recharge.
- The gateway itself is marked as deprecated. New users should avoid using the legacy gateway and instead rely on the new REST gateway introduced in this version.
How to help test?
- Install LifterLMS PayPal in a non-production environment and start using it.
- If you find any issues or have any questions let us know by opening an issue on the official LifterLMS GitHub, opening a new support request, or posting in #developers on the LifterLMS Slack community.
- If you install this in production we will not provide you with emergency or urgent support.
Grab Your Favorite Drink and Check Out these Podcasts
We discuss how to make and market your online course or get some help with that with Grant Weherley of MonetizeMyExpertise.com. Chris and Grant dive into several topics relevant to course creators, from what philosophy to take when planning out your course, to how you can improve your course content by focusing on what adds value.
Learn about how to validate your online course and master the marketing fundamentals with Justin Wise of Think Digital in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Chris and Justin discuss what makes effective marketing for online courses, and how you can incorporate these best practices into your strategy.
Learn about creating online social learning membership sites with web development agency owner, BuddyPress expert, and StudyChurch founder Tanner Moushey in this episode of the LMScast podcast with Chris Badgett of LifterLMS. Chris and Tanner dive into what BuddyPress is and how you can use it on your sites to create a powerful social media experience on your site.
Learn how masterminding can dramatically increase your odds of success as an education entrepreneur with Ken Wallace of MastermindJam in this episode of the LMScast podcast hosted by Chris Badgett, founder of LifterLMS. Ken and Chris dive into the ins and outs of masterminding, and how they can benefit you and your business.
Expand Your Knowledge with the Latest LifterLMS Webinars
The 3 Most Common Mistakes Course Creators Make
Grant and Gabrielle from Monetize Your Expertise go over some of the key mistakes they see the majority of new course creators make and some of the simple ways you can avoid them.
Read the Latest Featured Updates on our Blog
The 24-hour event will take place on May 11, 2019. Volunteers and contributors can attend local events to learn about translation and contribute translation to the WordPress core, plugins, and themes. During this global event, LifterLMS will be hosting our own digital Translation Day event in the #translators channel on the LifterLMS Slack Community.
The most recent release of LifterLMS (link https://lifterlms.com) brought with it a new capability where you can customize exactly what happens the instant after a successful purchase goes through.
Other News You Can Use
Check out another new course published to the Academy this month by Will Middleton about the LifterLMS quiz system.
LifterLMS Elementor integration announced by Tangible plugins.
Hey course creators! This toolallows you to compress high definition pictures both in jpeg and in png format!!
Did you know that WordPress now powers over ⅓ of the web?
And last, but not least, Teacher Appreciation Week is coming up May 6 -10. Mark your calendar for special discounts in our store and more!
Celebrate Our Community’s Wins…
Do you have a “win” you’d like to share with the LifterLMS community? We want to celebrate you! Fill out our contact form with the subject ‘Community Win’ and you could be featured in our newsletter and/or social media.
“We are approaching 250 students for our online college CCFcollege.com. this is a two-year college with a massive amount of audio and video files.”
“Created a mega course in many in short chunks – Pastels 101: Everything you need to know to create art with soft pastels. Successful launch and still it keeps selling! Love LifterLMS and look forward to exploring all the options available to me (like Private [Areas], Social, Membership possibilities, etc).”
Here’s What We’d Like You To Do Next…
Did somebody say sale? Get excited for our big announcement about our Teacher Appreciation Week coming up in a few days. Keep your eye on our blog for information on May 6th!
See you next month!